Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Working as Nanny Can be a Great Resume Builder

The Pros and Cons of Becoming a Live-In Nanny
Interview with Live-In Nanny Patricia King

Patricia King is a 23-year-old nanny with a degree in early childhood education. After finding it hard to land a permanent teaching job she decided to move from Sherwood, Oregon to Basking Ridge, New Jersey to work as a live-in nanny. She has found the nanny job to be a great learning experience.

King explains, "While earning my degree I learned about being a teacher and how to work with parents from within the classroom. Now I get to learn about the children and parents from another perspective -- inside their home."

She continues, "I have been taught how to assign homework. But now I see how difficult it can become managing a lot of homework with extracurricular activities and busy lives. What an eye-opener for me."

"Caring for the children and communicating effectively with the parents and children as a nanny only adds precious skills to my resume," says King.

She admits that the most difficult part of being a live-in nanny has been privacy. "When I first moved to New Jersey the family had never hired a live-in nanny before," says King.
"At first the children did not know they couldn't go in my room any time they pleased," says King.

She continues, "Although I felt we lacked some personal boundaries in the beginning it seems trivial now. The members of the family changed immediately and give me plenty of privacy now," says King.

The live-in nanny recommends, "The most important thing for nannies to remember is to maintain some professional objectiveness with the job. Remember, this is a job, not your own family," says King.

Do you think working as a nanny has helped your resume?

3 comments:

Fiona Littleton said...

I have met a lot of nannies that become disgruntled as teachers by red tape, administration, low pay, and parents so prefer being a nanny. But I am sure like Patricia there are soon to be teachers that find being a nanny is helpful to their teaching careers.

Lisa said...

For teacher types saying you have been a nanny and putting a spin on it to say you get what it is like to be in the home with parents getting the kids off to school, can see what it is like to juggle so much, etc. is very beneficial.

When I was in jobs working for widowers and trying to do the household management and childcare, it taught me so much. When I went back into doing community education programs on the side I approached things in a way more parent friendly way.

Cindyyfih said...

I have met a lot of nannies that become disgruntled as teachers by red tape, administration, low pay, and parents so prefer being a nanny. But I am sure like Patricia there are soon to be teachers that find being a nanny is helpful to their teaching careers.