Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What it Means to Me to Be a Nanny!

In Honor of National Nanny Recognition Week

By Andrea Flagg

I greatly enjoy being an interactive nanny who truly enjoys being a part of a child's life. Their energy is contagious and you can't help but to see the world through their eyes, where everything is new and amazing!

Working as a nanny, there are endless moments to teach through exploration, discovery, observation, sensation, and performance. I seize every opportunity to expose the children to new activities and experiences which would be of the greatest benefit to them.

I receive the most satisfaction when I am involved with helping a child to develop their interests and learn new things. It is very fulfilling to be a nanny and teach children skills that they will have for a lifetime!

Nannies nurture, teach, discipline, love, and become an extension of the family. Nannies fulfill many roles.


This definition of a nanny sums it up really well:

Nanny (nah-nee) n. childcare provider, activities director, teacher, dresser, beautician, nutritionist, chef, hygienist, janitor, nurse, dramatic reader, performer, entertainer, costume-maker, arts-and-crafts instructor, dance partner, chauffeur and stroller pusher, personal shopper, secretary, historian, detective, confidant, companion, counselor, coach, body-guard, self-defense instructor, tutor, cheerleader, appreciative audience, hugger, boo-boo kisser, potty trainer, learner, listener, helper, arbiter, peace-keeper, honorary extended-family member, life-long influence, shaper of the future.

What do you think it means to be a nanny?

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Andrea,

I love the choice of the word interactive. I know I have used a wide range of words to describe what being a nanny means to me over the years but I can't think of a time when I've simply said interactive to sum up some wordy definitions I have given at times.
------------------

In answer to the question posed at the end of this post though, rather than get wordy yet again I will try to be brief as I need to go get some charges up for the day soon.

As an educarer nanny there are many ways I could write what it means to be nanny. But at the forfront is this notion I put forth now.

Many years ago I was in a very difficult position where the mom died unexpectedly. It was a position that challenged me in all ways mentally, physically, and financially. From that position I learned that being a GREAT nanny/manny is really the most selfless act a person can do. She/He is striving to help grow and thrive someone else's child(dren).

Jackie Kennedy is quoted “If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much.”

We as nannies and mannies MATTER.

Tobago Nanny said...

Thank you Andrea,
What a wonderful article.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your definition of nanny! Excellent. Thank you for sharing!

Eva said...

Andrea I think you are a rare and treasured caregiver. I hope you inspire other nannies to strive to be such a great caregiver. Clearly the family is very blessed to have you help raise their kids.

Danielle said...

Very clever and so true. Can't wait to see tomorrow's essay. Great inspiration Andrea!

Lillian said...

Where did you find that definition Andrea? I am going to print it out and hang it on my fridge. To answer the question of what it means to be a nanny? Well, Andrea said it all. I certainly can't say more that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I love being a nanny for the past 10+ years.
I've had (have!) amazing charges and have been blessed to work for wonderful families.

P.S.~
I found that definition of a nanny a long time ago...on a shirt thru Cafepress.com
Sadly, I don't know who wrote the definition. If anyone does, please let me know-as I'd love to give them credit!
Enjoy the week nannies! ;-D
~Andrea Flagg