Sunday, February 19, 2012

Is the Gyro Bowl Really Spill Proof for Kids?

Product Review Sunday
Nanny and au pair friends keep asking me if I like the GYRO BOWL Spill Resistant Kids Gyroscopic Bowl with Lid. The name and television advertisements claim it is spill resistant for kids. So I decided to test the claims of the nice looking, colorful, cleverly advertised bowl.

I first tried it out on an 18-month old boy. I put dry Cheerios in the Gyro Bowl and handed it to the 18-month old who was sitting at the kitchen table ready to have breakfast. He was excited to pick the colorful bowl and immediately dropped it, (typical for babies and toddlers), and out came Cheerios all over the floor. I picked it up off the floor gave it back to him and the same scenario happened again and again. Less cereal fell out of the Gyro Bowl than if the Cheerios had been in a typical, uncovered bowl, but the cereal did fall out every time he threw or dropped the Gyro Bowl.

Next, I tried the same thing with a three-year old. She had much more success using the Gyro Bowl as she can handle objects more carefully. But, when she accidentally dropped the bowl the dry cereal spilled out as well.

So, my review is it's a fun, colorful bowl which reduces spills, but certainly does not eliminate them.

Have you had better luck with the GYRO BOWL Spill Resistant Kids Gyroscopic Bowl with Lid?